Start day right with eggs-traordinary Avocado Breakfast Muffins
Eggs-traordinary California Avocado Breakfast Muffins are an excellent option for breakfast.
SENIOR LIFE Courtesy of the California Avocado Commission
California avocados, in season now, are the perfect fruit and an important part of a nourishing breakfast solution for any busy morning schedule.
Yields: 15 mini muffins
Prep time: 10 minutes
Cook time: 20 minutes
Total time: 30 minutes
• 3/4 cup grape tomatoes, chopped
• 1 cup fresh spinach leaves, chopped
• 1 ripe Fresh California Avocado, seeded, peeled and diced
• Salt, to taste
• Pepper, to taste
• 1/4 tsp. chipotle seasoning (optional)
• 2 large eggs
• 1/2 cup egg whites
• 1 Tbsp. crumbled feta cheese
1. Preheat oven to 350 degrees F.
2. Spray a standard-sized non-stick mini muffin tin with cooking spray.
3. In a medium-sized bowl, combine tomatoes, spinach, avocado, salt, pepper and optional chipotle seasoning.
4. Spoon two tablespoons of vegetable and avocado mixture into each mini muffin cup.
5. Beat eggs and egg whites together in a separate bowl.
6. Pour eggs over the vegetables — a little more than three-quarters full.
7. Sprinkle egg muffin mixture with cheese.
8. Bake for about 20 minutes, or until eggs spring back to the touch.
Nutrition Information Per Serving: Calories 90; Total Fat 7 g (Sat 1.5 g, Trans 0 g, Poly 1 g, Mono 4 g);
Cholesterol 75 mg; Sodium 140 mg; Potassium 270 mg; Total Carbohydrates 4 g; Dietary Fiber 2 g;
Total Sugars <1 g; Protein 4 g
% Daily Value*: Vitamin A 15%; Vitamin C 15%; Calcium 4%; Iron 4%
*Percent daily values are based on a 2,000 calorie diet. Your Daily Values may be higher or lower depending on your calorie needs.
Recipe approved by USDA.