History — Then and Now
Then - 1890s
Courtesy of Brevard County Historical Commission
The Cape Canaveral Lighthouse has stood as a beacon for mariners for more than 150 years. Built in 1868 and moved to its present location in 1894, the lighthouse stands 151 feet tall. This is where it all started. The first rockets that launched in the 1950s from Cape Canaveral were in the shadow of the lighthouse.
The Cape Canaveral Lighthouse was recently repainted. A keeper’s cottage has been recreated to match the original (one of three above) and serves as a museum and gift shop. The lighthouse is on Cape Canaveral Air Force Station. For information on visiting, go to CanaveralLight.org