Council Renames Line Street to Honor W.H. Jackson
Last night the Melbourne City Council voted to change the name of Line Street to W.H. Jackson Street to honor long-time resident and business owner William Henry Jackson.
A majority of neighborhood property owners had signed a petition requesting that Line Street, between Irwin Street and Leonard Weaver Boulevard, be renamed W. H. Jackson Street. Mr. Jackson lived at 808 Line Street from 1916 until his death in 1953 at the age of 103. His family sought to rename the roadway W. H. Jackson Street in order to recognize his many contributions to the community and his ties to Melbourne’s pioneering families.
In a coincidental yet unrelated vote Council also approved the renaming of Sambuco Place to Bonelli Court in the Veranda Place subdivision. Sambuco Place is a privately maintained 150-foot roadway section that connects Turtle Mound Road to Bonelli Court inside the subdivision. The Veranda Place Community Association requested the name change in order to make it easier for visitors to the subdivision to locate homes on Bonelli Court.
Both name changes are effective immediately. New signs will be installed within the next two weeks. The new and old street names will be recognized for a one-year period to allow residents adequate time to communicate their new addresses with friends, family, businesses and others who send them mail.