BPS, teachers’ union agree on remote-work conditions
VIERA, FL -- Brevard Public Schools and the Brevard Federation of Teachers agreed today on work conditions meant to sustain instruction and safeguard staff through “the unprecedented COVID-19 virus outbreak.”
For BPS instructional employees, a detailed Memorandum of Agreement has been posted to the district’s website.
Among the agreements in the memorandum:
- While teachers continue to be paid during the emergency closures of schools, they will be expected to provide at least three hours of remote instruction per contract day so they can be available for student interaction via an email or online platform.
- The district will provide the necessary curriculum and resources to teachers.
- Teachers will not be required to use their cell phones for online instruction.
- Teachers will not be evaluated based on their online instruction.
- BPS will follow state direction regarding making up lost instructional days and time. Any future change to the school calendar or workday will be negotiated with BFT.
- The district will ensure that each school worksite, when accessible, has adequate cleaning supplies, disinfecting wipes and hand sanitizer.
- BPS will provide additional paid leave as guaranteed under the Families First Coronavirus Response Act.
The agreements were negotiated during an open and collaborative meeting Tuesday, March 24.